Easy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Christmas potatoes just got a serious upgrade. You have to try these Creamy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes. Although dairy-free, they are super flavorful— you won't believe they contain no dairy at all. Also, they're easy enough to make any night of the week. Enjoy the recipe!
Cooking with Cheron:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Optional for serving: vegan parmesan, chopped fresh chives
- Peel your potatoes, and slice them into 1/8 inch thick rounds. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Make the creamy sauce: Drain the cashews. In a high powered blender like a Vitamix, add all the sauce ingredients (cashews, vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast and salt) and blend on high for a few minutes until very smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Now add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring constantly for another minute. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in the baking dish. Top evenly with half of the creamy sauce, and then add the onion/garlic mixture across the top of the sauce.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes, and then the rest of the sauce. Bake for 60 minutes, then check a few potatoes to make sure they are fork tender and cooked through. If not, put back in the oven for 10-20 more minutes, until done. The sauce should be bubbly and thick.
- Sprinkle vegan parmesan and chopped fresh chives on top, if desired and serve. Enjoy!